• 700g panettone, cut into 1cm slices
• 40g unsalted butter, softened
• 125g caster sugar
• 50 ml dark rum
• 50 ml dry marsala
• 600 ml milk
• 600 ml thickened cream
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 lemon, rind grated
• 4 eggs
• Icing sugar, as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Lightly grease a 1.5-litre ovenproof dish with cooking spray.
3. Lightly butter each slice of panettone, and place the slices, slightly overlapping, into the dish.
4. In a large jug, combine the rum and marsala and pour over the panettone.
5. Cook milk, cream, cinnamon and lemon rind in a large saucepan over medium heat until just simmering.
6. Remove from heat, remove and discard the cinnamon stick.
7. Whisk eggs and sugar in a medium bowl until pale.
8. Pour the hot milk over the egg mixture and whisk thoroughly to combine.
9. Strain over the panettone, pushing the slices down until all are covered with custard.
10. Place the dish in a large baking tray, and fill the tray halfway with boiling water.
11. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and the custard is just set.
12. Dust with icing sugar and serve.