• 1 kg plain flour
• 600g bread dough
• 350g sugar
• 5 eggs (plus more for decoration)
• 1 tsp lard
• 120 ml aniseed liqueur
1. Melt the lard in a large frying pan with the sugar and a little water, then set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, beat the eggs and incorporate the leavened bread dough. Pour the flour onto a pastry board and add a pinch of salt before making a well.
3. Add the bread dough and liqueur. Work the ingredients until they become a soft and even dough.
4. Divide the dough into two ropes and twist them to form a “braid”, then pinch the ends together. If desired, connect the ends of the braid to form a wreath.
5. Set aside to rest overnight, then place an egg (in its shell) at the centre of the wreath for decoration.
6. Bake at 180°C for around 30 minutes or until golden.