• 500g smelt or whitebait
• Vegetable oil for frying
• Lemon juice
1. Rinse the fish with lightly salted water, drain and pat dry with absorbent paper.
2. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
3. Meanwhile, lightly coat fish in flour and shake off excess.
4. When the oil is hot, carefully lower the fish into the pan. Cook until golden on both sides – about 2-3 minutes.
5. Using a skimmer, remove fish from pan and place on absorbent paper.
6. Serve while still hot and season with a sprinkling of salt and a spritz of lemon.