• 1.5 kg day-old bread
• 1.5 assorted meats (lamb and beef)
• 800g fresh cow’s milk cheese
• 100g grated Sardinian pecorino cheese
• 2 large onions
• 1 bunch parsley, minced
• A few mint leaves, minced
• 50g butter
• Tomato paste
1. Place the meat in a pot containing 2 litres of cold water, celery, onions and parsley.
2. An hour into the cooking add half a tube of tomato paste and salt.
3. Meanwhile, slice half of the cheese into thin strips and grate the rest combining it with the pecorino, parsley and mint.
4. After the meat has been cooking for 2 hours filter the broth and allow to cool.
5. Grease an oven dish with butter and alternate layers of bread, broth, grated cheese, herbs, and the cheese slices. Top with a final layer of cheese slices which will form crusty surface.
6. Bake at 180°C for one hour and serve warm.