• 400g dried salted cod (soaked accordingly)
• 300g plain flour
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 glass of cold beer
• Salt and pepper
• Vegetable oil, for frying
1. For the best results when frying there are two key factors: a light, cold batter and abundant hot oil (180-190°C).
2. Let’s start with the batter. In a bowl, combine flour, egg yolk, salt and pepper. Gradually add some beer, more flour and stir well until all the ingredients (except oil) have been used up. You should obtain a fairly thin batter. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes (the time needed to prepare the baccalà).
3. Cut the cod into pieces measuring 4 x 4 cm. Pour enough oil (at least 8cm) in a deep fryer. When the oil is hot enough, take a piece of cod, dip it in the batter, allowing excess batter to drip and carefully lower into the oil. (Cook only a few pieces at a time as overcrowding the fryer will cause oil temperature to drop).
4. Fry until golden and crispy. Rest on absorbent paper and season with salt and pepper. Eat immediately. Serve with a delicious homemade mayonnaise.