For the dough:
• 600g flour
• 300g sugar
• 300g butter
• 5 egg yolks
For the filling:
• 500g cooked wheat, soaked overnight
• 500g ricotta
• 3 tbsp flour
• 500 ml milk
• 6 eggs
• Orange blossom water
• 500g sugar
• 1 knob of butter
• 150g candied fruit
1. Heat oven to 180˚C. Grease a deep cake tin.
2. Make a basic short pastry with the listed ingredients. You can do this the day before.
3. Cook the wheat in a pan with a knob of butter.
4. Combine three egg yolks, milk, 3 tbsp of sugar and 3 tbsp of flour in a bowl to make a custard.
5. Whisk the ricotta, remaining sugar, the yolks of the remaining eggs, orange blossom water, candied fruit and finally, the whipped egg whites together.
6. Use half of the dough to line the cake tin on the bottom and sides and pour in the filling.
7. Cut the remaining dough into 2 cm-thick strips and cross them over one another across the cake’s surface.
8. Bake for around 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
9. Dust with icing sugar and serve.