• 250g butter, at room temperature
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 4 eggs, separated
• 250g almond meal
• 75g self-raising flour
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 400g fresh ricotta
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter a 25 cm round spring-form cake tin.
2. Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time and stir until well incorporated.
3. Combine the almond meal, flour and lemon zest and fold into the cake batter.
4. Whisk the lemon juice with ricotta until light and airy. Fold the ricotta mixture into the cake batter.
5. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and gently fold into the batter.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 1 hour.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack. Serve at room temperature.