• 1 eggplant
• 1 tbsp salt
• ¼ cup oil
• 1 onion, roughly chopped
• 2 red peppers, diced
• 1 celery stalk, sliced
• 400g can of peeled tomatoes
• 2 tbsp brown vinegar
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 8 black olives, pitted and sliced
• 1 tbsp capers
1. Cut washed eggplant into 1cm cubes. Sprinkle with salt, mix well, let drain in colander for 1 hour, rinse under cold running water and pat dry.
2. Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion, peppers and celery. Cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring. Add eggplant and cook a further 5 minutes, stirring.
3. Push tomatoes and their liquid through a sieve. Add to the pan along with the vinegar, sugar and garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add olives and capers and stir well. Simmer uncovered over moderate heat for 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on its own or as a side dish.