Just seconds into the race, Fabio Quartararo highsided, causing his bike to slide directly into Dovizioso’s racing line.
The shocking crash saw Dovizioso collide into Quartararo’s bike, where Dovi was thrown off his Ducati in a frightful manner.
His body tumbled for metres before coming to a halt and his Ducati eventually set alight from the severity of the crash.
Quartararo explained that Alex Rins, who was in front of him, made a slight error and it forced him to react.
“[Rins] lost quite a lot at the rear and I shut the throttle a bit too aggressive to not really go into him... unfortunately I had a highside,” Quartararo said.
Both riders escaped serious injury.
Quartararo was able to walk away unaided, while Dovizioso was placed onto a stretcher.
They were each taken to hospital, as Quartararo explained some dizziness and Ducati reported “a momentary loss of memory” for Dovizioso.
Dovizioso was cleared after a CAT scan, and the riders were eventually discharged from hospital.
The mammoth task of catching up to championship leader Marc Marquez is now out of reach.
Prior to the Silverstone MotoGP, Marquez already led Dovizioso by a vast 58 points.
The crash inevitably means no points were gained for Ducati over the weekend.
The British GP both began and ended in a dramatic fashion.
Although Marquez led for almost the entire race, Rins beat him around the last corner to take victory.
Second place for Marquez now sees him leading the championship by 78 points, on 250 points.
Dovizioso remains in second on 172 points with just seven races until the end of the season.
The next MotoGP is home territory for the Italians as the tour hits Italy for the San Marino GP.
Catch the next race in three weeks time on Sunday, September 15, at 10:00 pm AEST.
British GP Results (Round 12)
- Rins (SPA) - Suzuki Ecstar
- Marquez (SPA) - Repsol Honda
- Vinales (SPA) - Monster Yamaha
- Rossi (ITA) - Monster Yamaha
- Morbidelli (ITA) - Petronas Yamaha
- Crutchlow (GBR) - LCR Honda
- Petrucci (ITA) - Ducati
- Miller (AUS) - Pramac Ducati
- Pol Espargaro (SPA) – Red Bull KTM Factory
- Iannone (ITA) - Factory Aprilia Gresini
- Bagnaia (ITA) - Pramac Ducati
- Guintoli (FRA) - Suzuki Ecstar
- Syahrin (MAL) - Red Bull KTM Tech3
- Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) - Repsol Honda
- Abraham (CZE) - Reale Avintia Ducati
- Rabat (SPA) - Reale Avintia Ducati
- Nakagami (JPN) - LCR Honda
DID NOT FINISH
Dovizioso (ITA) - Ducati
Quartararo (FRA) - Petronas Yamaha
Espargaro (SPA) - Factory Aprilia Gresini
Oliveira (POR) - Red Bull KTM Tech3
Zarco (FRA) - Red Bull KTM Factory