The scheme’s reinstatement means that all state-run museums and archaeological sites will once again be free to enter on the first Sunday of the month.
The scheme applies to world-famous sites and monuments including the Colosseum, Pompeii, Florence’s Galleria dell’Accademia, the Reggia di Caserta and Trieste’s Miramare Castle.
The offer does not apply to sites which are run by local authorities, rather than by the state.
Over 15 million visitors have taken advantage of free museum Sundays since they were first launched in 2014, by then culture minister Dario Franceschini.
But last year a new culture minister, Alberto Bonisoli, scrapped the scheme and replaced it with a more complicated system of 20 free museum days spread out throughout the year.
Bonosoli said the change was necessary as free museum Sundays caused long queues and overcrowding at the country’s most popular tourist sites.
However, the original free Sundays scheme is now being reintroduced after Franceschini reclaimed his old job as culture minister in the new coalition government.
The culture ministry has said that visitor numbers would now be capped at some sites as the scheme is reinstated.
For a complete list of the attractions you can visit for free, see the culture ministry’s website.