• 1 guinea fowl
• 2 pomegranates
• 2 shallots, sliced
• 1 red onion, finely sliced
• 4 juniper berries, crushed
• 2 tsp pink peppercorns
• 100 ml white wine
• Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
• Butter, as needed
• Salt, for seasoning
1. Cut pomegranates in half. Remove the seeds from one half and juice the other three. Filter the juice and pour it in a bowl with the wine. Add to this the guinea fowl, one teaspoon of pink peppercorns and juniper berries.
2. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and set in fridge for 2-3 hours.
3. Drain guinea fowl and pass the marinade through a sieve. Heat a little olive oil and a knob of butter in a large pot. Place the guinea fowl in the pot and cook for two minutes per side until lightly browned.
4. In another pan sauté onion and shallots. Add these to the guinea fowl, season with salt and pour over a ladle of marinade.
5. Cover and cook for 50 minutes. Place guinea fowl in a serving plate. Use the pan juices to create a delicious sauce by whizzing them in the mixer with a knob of butter. Pour the sauce over the fowl and decorate with the pomegranate seeds and remaining pink peppercorns.
6. Serve hot.