• 1kg olives, pitted
• 500 ml extra virgin olive oil
For the filling:
• 100g beef, diced
• 100g pork, diced
• 100g chicken, diced
• 30g breadcrumbs
• ½ onion, chopped
• 80 Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
• Zest of ½ lemon
• 1 small carrot, chopped
• 1 celery stick, chopped
• 1 cup white wine
• 1 egg
• Pinch of ground cloves
For the crumb:
• 2 medium eggs
• Plain flour
1. Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and cook the onion, celery and carrot until lightly browned.
2. Add the meat and continue to cook until browned.
3. Season with salt and add the wine, then cook over low heat until it is absorbed.
4. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool, then blend in a food processor.
5. Pour the mixture into a bowl and add the cloves, a pinch of nutmeg, the lemon zest, an egg, the cheese and the breadcrumbs.
6. Stir well unto the mixture is soft but compact, then set aside for 30 minutes.
7. Fill the olives with the prepared mixture.
8. Beat the remaining eggs in a bowl.
9. Place the flour and breadcrumbs into two separate bowls.
10. Coat each olive in the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
11. Set aside in a cool place for 30 minutes, then coat each olive in the flour, egg and breadcrumbs again to make them crunchy.
12. Fry the olives in very hot olive oil, turning them regularly to give them an even golden colour.
13. Drain and set the olives on paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
14. Serve piping hot.