• 1.5 kg onions, finely chopped
• 100g bacon, finely chopped
• 600g peeled tomatoes, chopped
• 3 eggs
• 50g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
• 4 basil leaves
• Extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and cook the bacon until lightly browned.
2. Add the onions and basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes, adding a small amount of hot water occasionally.
4. Add the tomatoes, 1 litre of hot water and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 1 hour.
5. Beat the eggs together with the cheese.
6. Remove the onions from the heat and add the egg and cheese mixture, stirring to combine.
7. Serve hot.