• 3 eggs
• 100g caster sugar
• 75g semolina
• 10 g finely ground almonds (almond meal)
• 1 tbsp Amaretto di Saronno liqueur
• Grated zest of ½ organic lemon
• 30 ml sunflower oil
For the icing:
• 100g dark chocolate
• 2 tbsp butter
• 100 ml single cream
• Christmas wafers or sprinkles
1. Separate the eggs: the yolks in one bowl, the whites in another. Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and beat until stiff.
2. Beat the yolks with sugar until light and frothy. Stir in the almonds, semolina, lemon zest, oil and liqueur.
3. Mix thoroughly until well combined then very gently fold in egg whites.
4. Grease and flour the mini bundt cake moulds (about 8). Scoop the mixture into each and bake in preheated oven at 160°C for about 30-35 minutes. The parrozzi are cooked when skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on rack to cool.
5. Meanwhile make the icing by melting the chocolate and butter set over a pan of simmering water. When the mixture has melted, stir in the cream and combine.
6. Remove from heat. Dip each parrozzo in the chocolate icing making sure that all sides are coated. Place on cooling rack to drip (have a tray or sheet of baking paper to collect the drips).
7. Decorate with snowflake wafers or white sprinkles.