• 500g ground roasted almonds
• 250g self-raising flour
• 250g plain flour
• 500g sugar
• 500 ml water
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the syrup:
• 250g sugar
• 125g water
• 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 160˚C.
2. Melt the sugar and water in pan over low heat. Add the ground roasted almonds. Mix well and simmer for 1 minute. Cool to lukewarm temperature.
3. Place the sifted flours and cinnamon in a large bowl and make a well. Pour the mixture in to the well and stir to combine, then set aside to cool.
4. Roll out the mixture into 2 cm-wide rolls and cut into 16 cm-long pieces.
5. Mould each one into an “S-shape” and slit the ends of the biscuits with a knife.
6. Place the biscuits on a baking tray and bake for 13 minutes.
7. Melt the sugar, water and cocoa in a double boiler and cook for 20 minutes or until the syrup is slightly thick.
8. Paint the biscuits with the syrup. When dry, brush with another coat of the syrup.