• 1kg chicory
• 1 loaf day-old Italian bread, sliced
• 4 large potatoes, peeled and halved
• 500g small tomatoes, chopped
• 1 red chilli, chopped
• 2-3 sprigs nepitella (or mint and oregano), chopped
• 2 onions, sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
• Salt and pepper, for seasoning
• Grated pecorino cheese, to serve
1. Cook potatoes, garlic, onions, tomatoes, chilli and herbs in a saucepan of salted boiling water.
2. Cook chicory separately for a few minutes to remove the bitter taste. Transfer to saucepan with other ingredients.
3. Line soup bowls with bread and top with soup. If preferred add a poached egg to each serving.
4. Set aside for a few minutes until soup is absorbed into bread. Remove any excess broth.
5. Sprinkle soup with extra virgin olive oil, according to your own taste.
6. Serve with pecorino cheese.