• 400g panettone
• 500g vanilla ice cream
• 3 tbsp bitter orange marmalade
• Mixed candied fruit, chopped
• 200g white chocolate
1. Take a bowl measuring 20cm in diameter and 9cm deep and line it with cling film, allowing extra to hang over the rim of the bowl. This will serve to seal the top.
2. Starting at the base, cut the panettone horizontally into 1.5cm thick slices. Keep the base intact, but cut the rest of the slices into wedges.
3. Line the sides of the bowl with the panettone wedges leaving a 1.5 cm border along the top.
4. Put the marmalade into a saucepan with a 2 tsp of water and heat it gently to allow the pectin to dissolve. If there is peel in the marmalade, whiz it in the processor to obtain a gel-like liquid. Spoon the marmalade over the panettone wedges commencing at the top.
5. Pour the ice cream into the bowl to half way. Sprinkle with candied peel.
6. Close the zuccotto with the base of the panettone. Hold it down firmly and cover with the overhanging cling film. Seal well.
7. Lay a flat plate with weights on top of the bowl and allow the zuccotto to set in the freezer for at least 6 hours, weights and all.
8. When ready, remove from the bowl, unwrap the top and place the zuccotto on a serving dish. Remove the rest of the plastic.
9. Melt the chocolate in a microwave or over simmering water and pour over enough to cover the zuccotto entirely. It will harden immediately.
10. Use a sharp warm knife to facilitate cutting, and serve instantly.