• 4 eggs
• 80g plain flour
• 20g potato starch or cornflour
• 100g sugar
• 1 sachet of vanillin sugar
• 1 level tsp baking powder
• Caster sugar
• 1kg favourite ice cream
• Whipped cream
• Dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar. Sift together flour, potato starch and baking powder and gradually add to the egg and sugar.
3. Whisk the egg whites and fold them into the mixture.
4. Pour onto a large rectangular oven pan, lined with baking paper. Bake for 10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle a slightly damp towel with caster sugar. Loosen the edges of the cake and invert onto the towel. Remove the pan and carefully peel off the baking paper. Starting from the short end, roll up the cake with the help of the towel. Place the seam side down on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
6. While the cake is cooling take the ice cream out of the freezer to soften. Unroll the cake and spread evenly with ice cream. Roll cake up again. Wrap it tightly in greaseproof paper, then in foil. Freeze, seam side down, overnight or until firm.
7. Unwrap the cake and trim the ends. Cover with whipped cream and decorate with chocolate shavings before serving.